5 Benefits of Using Natural Stone in a Shower
Your shower is where you start each morning to soothe tired muscles and wake up for the day ahead. If you're planning to remodel your bathroom, you want a shower that's easy to keep clean yet beautiful and comfortable. Natural stone can accomplish all of these things with natural elegance and style. Here are five good reasons to consider natural stone for your new shower.
1. Energy EfficiencyCeramic tile offers its own advantages, including a nonporous surface and affordability. However, many homeowners do not realize ceramic tile does not retain heat well, which means the shower will always feel cold when they step in, especially during the winter months. Natural stone retains heat well, and it can eliminate drafty morning showers by retaining heat in the winter and absorbing conditioned air in the summer.
2. Unique Design OptionsNatural stone allows you to create a one-of-a-kind shower designed to your specific tastes. There are several types of natural-stone tiles that can be used for a shower surface, including marble, slate, granite, and travertine. Each type of stone is available in a wide array of colors and patterns. From there, you can choose the type of finish you prefer, such as honed or distressed, then choose an installation pattern that best complements your bathroom. Depending on your tastes, you may prefer a sleek slate shower dominated with blacks and golds or something light, bright, and clean like Calacatta Gold marble.
3. Long-Term InvestmentNatural stone can last a lifetime and add value to your home. Though the stone will need to be resealed regularly, you will not need to reglaze or resurface stone tiles if they are cared for properly. While natural stone is more expensive than ceramic tile, it's also more durable and offers a greater return on investment. Natural stone no longer has the hefty price tag it once did, making it an affordable investment for many homeowners.
4. Flexible InstallationNatural stone comes in slabs or thin tiles anywhere from 0.5" to 12" in diameter, which means it can be installed in any space, no matter how oddly shaped or small. Stone can be used in any area of the home, which can create a cohesive look in your bathroom. For instance, your shower can coordinate with a stone tile floor or countertop.
5. Easy MaintenanceStone has a reputation for being difficult to maintain, but this is far from the truth. There's no other material that offers the durability of stone. As long as you follow a few special care and cleaning instructions, natural stone will not peel, crack, or fade. You can extend the life and appearance of a stone shower by sealing it regularly. To clean the shower, simply use a stone-safe granite cleaner for showers such as Granite Gold Shower Cleaner®, then wipe dry to prevent streaks. It’s also a good idea to polish shower walls and tub surrounds to prevent buildup. However, you should never polish shower flowers, as they can become dangerously slippery. You can also use a granite cleaning pad to clean stone shower walls and tub surrounds. The Granite Gold Scrub Sponge® is safe to use on granite and other types of natural stone. At Granite Gold®, we carry a wide array of products that can help you keep your stone shower looking beautiful for many years to come. Call 1-800-475-STONE today to see what we have to offer.
| Posted on October 20 2017